Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:53:31 -0700
From:      "Bharat Mediratta" <bharat@sinia.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3.4-STABLE -> 4.0-RELEASE upgrade:  unable to mount root partition

Howdy.  I am in the process of source upgrading my machine from
3.4-STABLE to 4.0-RELEASE.  I have been doing my level best to
follow the directions, but frankly there are a ton of different
sets of directions out there.  The directions that come with
the 4.0-RELEASE tag are different from those that come with
4.0-STABLE, and about 4 different people have sent me a variety
of different variations of those by email.  I'm tryin' here.

Basically I've done this:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# cd sbin/mknod
# make install
# cd sys/modules
# make (which fails:)
===> ccd
make: don't know how to make
/usr/src/sys/modules/ccd/../../kern/vnode_if.sh. Stop
*** Error code 2

Since the 4.0-RELEASE /usr/src/UPDATING file doesn't tell me to
do the sys/modules make install, I figure I'll just keep going.
I figure that I might see some failures when I boot into multi-user
later on, but I can deal with that.

# make installkernel
(mv /MY-KERNEL /kernel, etc)

Now I am supposed to rebuild my /dev entries so I do this (following
the instructions:)

# cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev
# cd /dev
# MAKEDEV ad0
# MAKEDEV ad0s1a; MAKEDEV ad0s2a; ... MAKEDEV ad0s7a
# MAKEDEV ad1
# MAKEDEV ad1s1a; MAKEDEV ad1s2a; ... MAKEDEV ad1s7a

Now I figure that my devices are in order so:

# reboot

Here's what happens:

-------------------------------
<lots of normal output snipped>

ad0: 8063MB <IBM-DHEA-38451> [16383/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
ad1: 19595MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5> [39813/16/63] at ata0-slave using
UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:28B> at ata1-slave using PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:wd0s1a
wd0: bad sector table not supported
wd0s1: bad sector table not supported
Root mount failed: 22
Mounting root from ufs:wd0a
wd0: bad sector table not supported
wd0s1: bad sector table not supported
Root mount failed: 22

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>
-------------------------------

So now what do I do?  I've tried "ufs:/dev/ad0s1a", "ufs:ad0s1a", "ufs:ad0a"
and
a bunch of other variations, but it always replies:

panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted.

syncing disks...

I can't seem to get it to recognize the new ad devices.  Nor can I get it
to use the old wd devices.  What am I missing here?  Argh, this is
frustrating!

Thanks,
-Bharat