Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 21:52:08 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with SMP cleanup code? Or me?

Hi!

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 09:35:48PM +0200, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> You wrote:
> | Hi, i just cvsup'd sources for stable today, recompiled a kernel and went
> | to boot it.. Went right up to the local package initialization and:

Just to clarify it: it is unsupported and not recommended to just recompile
the kernel from the new sources. Kernel and world should be in sync. So
first you should make and install world and build a kernel after that. It is
a good idea not to reboot until all of this has been done. Special
directions may apply for eg major number upgrades but if so, they will be
included in the /usr/src/UPDATING file (which you should read after each
cvsup to see if it has changed) and/or posted to this list. It is very
probable that your modules were out of sync with your kernel.

AFAIK SMP certainly works on the i386 as a platform, if it is the x86 line of
processors we are talking about. The actual 386s may be a different matter,
never tried...

Hope this helps.

Regards:
Szilveszter ADAM