Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 97 19:29:37 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, "David Greenman" <dg@root.com>, "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Subject:   Re: Walnut Creek

[Moved to chat]

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 19:16:14 -0600 (CST), Lee Crites (AEI) wrote:

>Just out of idle curiosity, are there other "local changes"
>besides the memory one?

	My understanding from what Dave has posted previously on the lists
is that the changes relate to some custom software that he's running, not
so much the OS.  Although he did say "don't ask," so take that as a hint.
:)

>My main reason for asking is because I use www.cdrom.com as an
>example of how kick-butt FreeBSD is.  If that site is better
>because of a bunch of "local changes," then I need another
>example...

	Take a look at my .sig. :)  We're running stock 2.2.5 (11/11 snap)
and the only thing we've modified is the kernel config file.  I can also
tell you that every machine on our network that was running linux
converted to FreeBSD as they saw our success grow.  There were also
several servers running bsdi that switched, much to the admins'
consternation.  In August '96 when I started working with DALnet, the
network's high user count was 4,000 and some, and the average nightly
utilization was 2,000.  Now our high user count is 19,410, and our average
night is an easy 18k.  One of our server admins is a contributor to the
kernel code on one of the linux projects, and he agrees that FreeBSD is a
better choice for anything with a high network load.

	The conclusion we've come to is that if you want to have fun and
learn something about unix, linux isn't a bad choice.  But if you want to
get serious work done, move up to FreeBSD.  And yes, you can quote me. :)

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***