Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:11:24 -0700
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <sa-list@avantgo.com>, "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP + fxp0 wierdness

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote, in response to stevan@avantgo.com:
> > We're running 3.3-REL on dual processor PII-450's, with a N440BX
> > motherboard, using the onboard EtherExpress Pro (fxp) NIC and 512MB
RAM.

> > These machines are running custom software that excercises the disk,
CPU
> > and network quite heavily.  The SMP machines seem to have both "fxp0:
> > device timeout" problems, and spontaneous reboots.
<snip>
> > Could this be a problem with SMP + fxp combination?  Any other thoughts
> > or ideas?
>
> This is a known problem, insofar as it's been seen on a wide range of
> systems.  It's not SMP specific, but it does appear to be very sensitive
> to your hardware configuration (eg. we were seeing it repeatedly in
> combination with an ncr SCSI card, and when we switched to an Adaptec it
> went away).

Just a bit of additional info.  We haven't yet seen the 'fxp0: device
timeout' message on the machines that are running 3.3, even though at least
one of the 3.3 machines used to throw many timeout messages under 3.1.  On
that machine, we were seeing 4 or 5 of the timeout messages per high-volume
hour - until I dropped it back to a uniprocessor kernel, at which point
those messages stopped completely.

Also, excepting a single machine, the rebooting problem only seems to
happen after around a week or runtime, and that period has been falling in
proportion to the volume the machines are servicing (it used to take two
weeks, and earlier almost a month).

Thanks,
scott