Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 12:19:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Benjamin Tomhave <tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   chsh/chfn: db err's

I am wondering what these things have in common, if anything:

I cannot run chsh or chfn.  When tried I get an error openning
/etc/pwd.db.

sendmail is not working -- getrequests cannot bind because Permission
denied

Is it possible that my database is somehow corrupt?  If so, why didn't
rebuilding it help?  Should I try using the backups of master.passwd
instead of master.passwd for rebuilding the database?

Right now I am just throwing out ideas to see if it spurs anything from
those of you who know a heck of a lot more about this than I do.

Thanks!

-ben

    Benjamin Tomhave		|   Shell to DOS...Come in DOS...Do you Copy?
    Luther College		|
    Decorah, IA 52101		|   $ rm * .*    "Hey, where'd everything go?
    tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu  |