Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:52:29 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord problems

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 00:34:25 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> No luck on -questions. Not sure how to read the error message as
> reported by cdrecord. Was unable to find a cdrecord mailing list.
> Cdrecord home site suggests cdwrite@other.debian.org but I couldn't find
> any mention of it on the Debian mail list site.

Probably because it isn't a Debian list.  The address is correct, though.

> Didn't find anything in http://www.freebsd.org/search of much use
> either.
>
> Is it saying my CD-R is write protected? LED never flashes on the front
> of the CD-RW drive when the commands below execute. Flashes only the
> moments after closing the tray.
>
> cdrdao is less verbose but also fails to work.
>
> Don't have any problems reading from the drive.
>
> Did cvsup the day before this kernel was built. Buildworld/installworld
> from the same sources:

It looks like cdrecord is behaving properly.  So yes, it looks like it
can't write to that CD-R.  I would suggest trying another CD.

If you still have the same problem with another CD, I'd suggest sending
mail to the mailing list you mentioned above.  Joerg Schilling reads the
list, and will probably be able to offer some insight.  At this point it
doesn't look like a FreeBSD issue, since cdrecord appears to be talking to
the drive just fine.

[ ... ]
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:   0 of 637 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x27 Qual 0x00 (write protected) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> resid: 63488
> cmd finished after 0.013s timeout 40s
[ ... ]