Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:46:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Luca Pizzinato" <mail@pizzinato.it>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tip and USB-RS232 cable

Hi All.

I have here a couple of FreeBSD boxes with a USB to serial RS232 cable
going from USB0 on hostA to COM1 on hostB.

On hostA I recompiled the kernel incuding the following 2 lines:
# USB com devices
device          ucom
device          uplcom

Unplugging and plugging back in on hostA the USB end, this is what I get
on the messages file:

... hostA /kernel: uplcom0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
... hostA /kernel: uplcom0: detached
... hostA /kernel: uhub0: port error, restarting port 2
... hostA /kernel: uplcom0: Prolific Technology PL2303 Serial adapter
(ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev 1.10/2.02, addr 2

On hostA:/etc/remote I created the following line:
usb0:dv=/dev/usb0:br#9600:pa=none:

However, I can't have tip working. It tries to connect and immediately
disconnect!
hostA:~ # tip usb0
connected

Hangup.
[EOT]

On hostB everything is fine, since if I use a nullmodem serial cable
between the 2 boxes, I get the login: prompt from COM1 at hostA straight
away.

What am I missing?!?

Thanks & regards.