Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:21:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On  8 Dec, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>> In a few days time the wd driver will be retired from FreeBSDs
>> i386 architecture.
>
> I know there are issues that make it awkward to support both drivers,
> but it's probably a good idea to keep the wd driver available for those
> who need it, even if it requires more work to get it going than it does
> to get the ata driver going.
>
> That said, this is one way to get the folks who're having trouble with
> the ata driver to get off their butts and provide Soren with feedback,
> so maybe it's not a bad idea to nuke wd after all. :-)

It isn´t only a matter of providing feedback... the maintainer also has
to work on it.
I offered feedback in every mail regarding my problem with ata &
msdos-ZIPs (they aren´t accessible), but most of the time I havn´t got a
reply (Søren replied recently to Fritz Heinrichmeyer, he has the same
problem).
I´m not able to test it at the moment, but I havn´t seen a cvs-all
message which said "Problems with MSDOS formated ZIPs fixed". I assume
it isn´t fixed and I want to use the wd driver until it´s fixed.

Poul-Henning: please wait until Søren fixed the problems some users have
(we didn´t want to loose features, right?).

Søren: I didn´t want to flame you, I only want to convince Paul-Henning
to wait until you have time to fix those bugs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            We are what we eat; I'm cheap, fast, and easy.

http://netchild.home.pages.de             Alexander+Home @ Leidinger.net
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E