Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:52:09 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: EISA cards.

Hi,

> > response.  So I can conclude that either:
> >
> >  a: everyone agrees with this decision.
> > OR
> >  b: no one with such hardware read that far.
>
> (Warning: uninformed gut-reactions follow)
> I think you missed out c: which was that some folks, me included, didn't
> entirely follow the implications, but IMHO, I wouldn't build an SMP system
> relying heavily or even using EISA. It sounds to me like a small loss, but
> as I'm not sure exactly how much is gained out of it I couldn't make the
> decision either.

FreeBSD has a tradition for not being "snobbish" in the area of dictating
what hardware "deserves" to be supported.  I see support for some things
I wouldn't pass the trash can to put into a junk box on the other side of
the room.  So I don't want to ignore this side of things.  (Don't take this
paragraph too literally, I agree with the policy in general, I'm just saying
you sometimes have to draw a line.  Consider this a "blowing off some
steam" rant.)

---
> Basically:
> 1) I don't use EISA cards except in one 486 here, and that's going asap as
> well.
>
> 2) In an SMP system I would always use PCI instead of EISA, only because
> if I'm buying an SMP system it's due to performance/newness issues and
> EISA wouldn't be my choice of performance/newest peripherals.

the bottom line is that an ISA/EISA machine is a BAD choice for SMP.  Intel
put things in the MP spec to allow use of some of their "older" technology,
including earlier EISA chip-sets.  This is the root cause for this particular
problem.

There are several GOOD PCI/EISA machine out the (asus comes to mind), but think
of them as PCI/ISA, and don't consider using EISA cards in them.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by