Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 16:36:04 -0400
From:      srobrien@mss.mmr.lucent.com (Susan O'Brien)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail

I'm sorry I have to bug you with this question, but sending mail to you
was my very last resort.

I am a new user to FreeBSD but not to UNIX.  Although I'm not real
familiar with sendmail.

According to all the documentation I've been gathering, I should be able
to use the default setup for sendmail, set up my IP addresses and host
names and it should work.

It isn't.  Here's the messages I'm receiving:

May 18 14:14:26 canetsoft sendmail[5298]: My unqualified host name
(canetsoft) unknown; sleeping for retry
May 18 14:15:26 canetsoft sendmail[5298]: unable to qualify my own
domain name (canetsoft) -- using short name

I think I'm really confused as to what files I need to modify so that
sendmail knows my host and domain name.

Help!  We're using 2.2.5 FreeBSD and 8.8.7 sendmail.  Please let me know
if there is anything else you need to help me solve my problems.

When I look at the mail queue, it looks like my mails are sitting
waiting to be sent to my internet address.  Also, I sent mail from my PC
to the FreesBSD machine using an IP address (sro@135.114.114.151) and
that's also sitting in the queue but it didn't get sent to my id on that
machine.

The other things I'd like to find out about are faxing, pagers, and
sound alerts.  What software packages would you recommend using?  I will
need to be able to send a fax to some phone number, page someone, or
send an audible alarm from the FreeBSD machine.

Thanks for your help,
Sue O'Brien
Lucent Technologies, Inc.
srobrien@lucent.com