Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 14:00:25 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD/Linux

>>So why is there more software for Linux???<< The same reason Billy Gimbo is a rich man despite an inferior product: Marketing, Marketing, Marketing!
On this subject, I suggest we spend less time writing on this Q&A list and more
time writing books which are based on FreeBSD in the real world, as that is imnsho
one of the 2 main reasons for Linux popularity. The other is the charismatic
damn-the-big-guys story of Linus Torvald's history.
	We can't do much about the second reason, but I'm sure a lot of the guys
on the core team have more than enough juice to write O'Reilly-quality books
specifically using FreeBSD as the educational vehicle.
	The other thing we can do is to develop a marketing team for FreeBSD which
will generate *official* news releases to send to the popular and trade press.
There's a lot of good news about FreeBSD, starting with the fact that it was
plug-and-play long before the 'Doze boneheads thought up the concept, playing up
the **freely distributable** angle as per Richard Stallman's FSF and the MIT
X group, playing up the SCO, BSDi and Linux emulation, and ending with the
beautiful work the bt848 and other multimedia guys are doing with bleeding edge
technology. And don't forget the staggering disparity in numbers between FreeBSD
(and Linux) vs. Netscape or Microsoft or Solaris-hosted webservers.

	Somehow I don't think we'd appear so far behind...
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *