Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:05:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bart Lindsey <bart@burra.zip.com.au>
To:        bm@malepartus.de
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC memory support

Hi Burkard,

ECC occurs between the memory modules and the motherboard. The kernel doesn't
get involved and the process is transparent to the kernel.

The PC architecture doesn't handle memory problems very nicely and typically
the CPU resets without warning or just freezes without the kernel having any
opportunity to trap an error.

Depending on the revision of your motherboard, you might have to download
the bios patch described at URL:

http://www.asus.com/downloads/bios/Jbios.asp?Motherboard=P/I-P55T2P4S#instructions

There are two factors mentioned which can cause parity errors:
1. PS2 mouse installed or
2. AMD K6 installed and ECC/parity enabled.

Good Luck!

Bart.

Burkard Meyendriesch <bm@malepartus.de> e-toned