Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 05:24:42 -0500
From:      Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   next step... azureus

So, I've been trying to get all the java apps I use on windows to run under
FreeBSD. Eclipse works great, thanks to the port (though I too would like to
see a 3.0 milestone on FreeBSD as someone recently posted requesting).
Moneydance also works fine (just copied the jar file from my windows box and
it worked immediately... got to love that... it *almost* does give one hope
that "write once, run anywhere" can be true).

It is a (remarkable) bittorrent client. http://azureus.sourceforge.net

But I have got it working. I just wanted to share how I did it, in case anyone
else is interested. But more importantaly, perhaps if someone else is
interested they could correct my ignorant hacks and share a better way!

The complication here seems to be the app uses SWT.

What I did was go to their Linux "How-To" page, and followed the link there to
bundled jars... http://devurandom.net/azureus/files/

Realising that I'm going to have to try to use the swt libraries from eclipse,
and that they are gtk based, I downloaded the latest gtk version of azureus
from above  (which unfortunately is not the latest release). I unpack it, but
of course it does not run so easily. A path must be adjusted in the startup
shell script, but more seriously it has linux swtlib*.so files bundled.

So the next step was to copy/link what looked like it must be the wanted files
from eclipse into my unpacked azureus bundle from devurandom.net above.

cp /usr/local/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.1/ws/gtk/swt*.jar .
cp /usr/local/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.1/os/freebsd/x86/
libswt*.so .

Finally, i didn't quite trust the bundled systray4j.jar (figured it would be
for gnome/gtk, and i run KDE) so i got a new one for kde from http://
www.sourceforge.net/projects/systray/ and dropped it in.

And what do you know. The app runs!

However still no joy. It won't connect to the net. )-: I notice the exception
message displayed (cut off) in the "tracker status" display... i could read
enough to make out that it was advising me for some reason to set
net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0 ... hmm. I don't really know what that means but I try
it...

sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0

And now Azureus is running and able to connect to the net (thanks to that
handy exception message in there). Wheh. (Actually the error message also
said I could alternately add a -Djava.something.something.something (can't
remember the exact class) to my startup command to fix this as well.)

There are still some minor oddities and glitches I've noticed, but it seems to
be mostly running. For example, all of the many progress bars flash off then
on when updating which is fairly annoying... but at least does not hinder any
functionality. Stranger than this is that the progress graphs in the "files"
tab are all off by one in the table view. That is to say, that each graph is
displayed one cell below where it should be. Strange, eh?

[update: i did grab the latest .jar file from the main page and dropped it
into place after doing all of the above, and it works as described above
also. So I'm now running 2.0.4.2]

I have actually tried compiling it from CVS source... but failed miserably...
there's no handy ant/ make build system...  i must have some things mising
from my classpath when  building, or something. As I said at the beginning...
my skills are meagre. Also it may requires SWT 3, i'm not sure.

Oh well, it's running, and working, such as it is, and that's something.

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | A man is rich in proportion to the number of
x@veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | things which he can afford to let alone. HDT