Date:      Sat, 07 Jan 1995 01:55:51 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Coranth Gryphon <shaman@mv.mv.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp utility...

> Hi. I am planning to build a utility for freebsd, but wanted to
> find out (1) if such already existed and (2) if the freebsd team
> would like to include this in subsequent releases.

Have you looked at ncftp?  It's bundled with the system.
Try, for example:

	ncftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.0-RELEASE/README

> A second utility returns the directory listing from a particular point
>
> 	ftpdir host path

This is one thing that ncftp *won't* to, and would be useful.
Actually, it would be kind of nice to be able to add it to ncftp!
Perhaps if -I was set, it could assume that you REALLY didn't want to
go into interactive mode and it should simple do the next logical
thing?

Actually, ncftp goes into interactive mode a little too easily for my
tastes anyway.  I don't like it kicking up on errors and wedging
my port builds! :-(  But that's another problem..

					Jordan