Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:31:39 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Richard Brooksby <rb@geodesic.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Geodesic System Administrators <sysadmins@geodesic.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with DPT SCSI controller

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 at 17:42 SAT, Richard Brooksby wrote:

> > We have a DPT SmartRAID IV Ultra.  It appears to work OK, but when we
> > started transferring our data to the RAID we got kernel messages warning of
> > DPT errors and "salvaging ... from the jaws of destruction".  I've attached
> > the relevant "dmesg" output below.

I take it you're not using a differential DPT controller, and that you have
quite a few drives attached to it?  Probably even with a fairly long cable?

Try using the DPT controller's BIOS utility to set the SCSI bus speed down
from the default 20MHz.  10MHz should do it.

The author of the DPT drivers posted a (long) message here some time ago
relating to the problems various people are experiencing with these
controllers.  If you're interested, mail me personally and I'll forward you
my saved copy of it.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878