Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:18:49 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Jason Cribbins <freebsdlist@kibserv.org>
Cc:        James Long <list@ns.museum.rain.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world lasts longer than the energizer bunny

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 05:46:47PM -0400, Jason Cribbins wrote:
> : > This is a keyboardless box (something fried on motherboard long ago)
> that I
> : > had to initiate the make world through telnet on a windoze box.  If I
> had
> : > know it was going to take this much time I would have telneted from
> another
> : > freebsd box.  My windoze machines typically need to be rebooted every
> few
> : > days to clean up memory leaks.
> : > I might be in trouble here.
> :
> : Tip 1: run the make in the background.  For instance I have a
> : script called /root/mbw which does a little prep, and the
> : "make buildworld" step.  I invoke it thusly:
> :
> : /root/mbw >mbw.out 2>&1 &
> :
> That is a good idea.
> Thanks

Hi,

How about doing the actual compile on the other machine?
I have an old 486-33/16MB acting as an internet gateway/firewall. When
I make world (my other 2 are also running fBSD, I usually make buildworld
on the fastest machine and export the generated /usr/obj using nfs to
the other hosts. On the other hosts I can type make installworld, which
then does the job way faster, since it doesn't have to compile anymore. :)

Took only half an hour on the 486 btw. UNIX is great ;-)
Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator