Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 16:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Fuchs <dfuchs@uniserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal Trap 12?

	I've been having trouble with my server after I installed
4.0-Stable.  It seems that the server will reboot automatically whenever
network traffic is idle.  The following message was received on the
console as I tended to my most favourite little household plant. It's
small (about 4 inches tall), and it's got little reddish-purple buds.

~~~
fault virtual address: 0x8
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc01cd748
stack pointer = 0x19:0xc02f7804
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc02f780c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b, DPL 0,
	       pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = Idle
interrupt mask =
trap number = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 19 11
done

(The kernel is still GENERIC, so if anyone knows about these things
perhaps you can point me to the function that the instruction pointer is
addressing. I would do it myself if I could translate the produced data.)
~~~

	I haven't modified anything at all since my upgrade from
3.4-Stable (3.4 gave me no trouble whatsoever).  Although, since I
discovered this problem, I have replaced absolutely *every* piece of
hardware in the server except the network cards.  I've go two Realtek 8139
NICs (rl0 & rl1) installed at the moment, but I've got nothing to replace
them with.  I'm pretty sure that the NIcs are the problem as the server's
uptime was at 5hrs when the NICs weren't in use. Once an internet
connection was plugged into one of them, however, the server was down in
less than 15 minutes. =( (The morning after the install, after I had
finished watering my plant, I had discovered that the server had rebooted
itself aprroximately 20 times.)

	Does anyone know if there is a bug with the Realtek drivers? If
so, how do I fix this problem? If anyone has any other suggestions as to
what the problem might be (even if it's not the NICs), I'm open to
ideas. I've been working on this for 6 days now to no avail - I used to
think I knew what I was doing. Oh well, at least I still have my plant -
that little guy has grown two buds since this problem started!

	Anyway, thank-you in advance for your assistance!

-David

	P.S. I can produce copies of any config files that might help upon
request.