Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:00:04 +1000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix, maildir's, and writing filters

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 19:18 +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2008 10:29:36 Da Rock wrote:
> > Howdy. This may seem simple, but I'm completely green on this: I have a
> > postfix server with a courier-imap client frontend using maildir's. I'm
> > using imap for an internal mta, but I need to setup a system which
> > retains copies of sent emails on the network and not on individual
> > workstations (which is what happens currently).
>
> Just so I'm clear, postfix will deliver all mail? If so:
> always_bcc (default: empty)
>
>     Optional address that receives a "blind carbon copy" of each message that
> is received by the Postfix mail system.
>
>     Note: if mail to the BCC address bounces it will be returned to the
> sender.
>
>     Note: automatic BCC recipients are produced only for new mail. To avoid
> mailer loops, automatic BCC recipients are not generated for mail that
> Postfix forwards internally, nor for mail that Postfix generates itself.
>
> recipient_bcc_maps (default: empty)
>
>     Optional BCC (blind carbon-copy) address lookup tables, indexed by
> recipient address. The BCC address (multiple results are not supported) is
> added when mail enters from outside of Postfix.
>
> I am not sure, whether "forwards internally" means mail between two users of
> the same postfix installation. It applies also to recipient_bcc_maps. If
> postfix won't do this, there's probably a good reason for it, so then I'd
> think twice if I really wanted this feature.

I've read about all that but its not what I'm looking for, thanks
anyway.

I just want to (possibly) send to a filter mail that comes into the
queue, check to see if it has been generated by a local domain, and put
a copy of the message in the sender's sent folder in the maildir.

If there is a better way then I'm open to suggestion, but everything
I've read so far (such as the bcc settings) appears to be a bandaid or
workaround rather than attacking the solution head on. Its appears
simpler to me to avoid using the mailer and filtering per recipient by
simply copying using and external filter on postfix.

I'm obviously not the only one who would like a feature like this for
maildir setups on postfix based on how many times that suggested
workaround appears on the google searches. Once I have worked out a
proper solution I'll post it and I can almost guarantee the popularity
of it :)