Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 22:14:09 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        ade@demon.net
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

> Mike Smith writes:
> >
> >Hmm, if you want to save space, try removing the bad144 stuff.  It
> >wastes a great deal of space for almost zero functionality.
>
> Right.  By removing the DO_BAD144 define I've now got the space to
> implement the next attempt at the boot.banner stuff, also keeping
> the "Can't find <xxx>" printf's, though I've moved this to openrd()
> itself to remove a little bit of code duplication.

I'm not actually very impressed by them at all either.

> If /boot.banner exists then that will be displayed and, if /boot.help
> exists, the boot prompt is modified to tell the use that more information
> can be found by typing 'help'.

It occurred to me this morning that the *ideal* behaviour would be as
follows:

If boot.banner exists, display it, else if boot.help exists, display it.
Don't have a 'help' command.  Instead, if an unrecognised command is
entered, and finding a kernel named thus fails, look for a file named
boot.<command> and display it instead.

This lets you have more than one help screen, just for openers.  It
might even reduce the code footprint a little.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\