Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:25:14 +0200
From:      Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>
To:        Eirik =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wix=F8e?= Svela <eirik@nynorsk.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

Eirik Wix=F8e Svela <eirik@nynorsk.no> writes:

> I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
> 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I have
> been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some time
> now. I understand that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is supposed to work well on this
> kind of machine, but I would rather use some variant of BSD if that is a
> viable alternative.

I have a MacBook running FreeBSD. IIRC I bought it in January 2008 so
it's probably the same model as yours.

> I would therefore like to ask you whether anyone here has any experience
> with FreeBSD, either 7.0-RELEASE or any other version, that they would
> like to share so I might know what to expect if I choose to go through
> with this. I have some time on my hands the next couple of weeks, so I
> am prepared to spend some days tweaking things to work if it is worth
> the effort, but if it isn't, I might as well take Ubuntu for a spin or
> do a clean install of Mac OS X.

I have made a few notes here:
http://borderworlds.dk/notes/freebsd-macbook.html

I just used boot camp and did a pretty standard install. I would
recommend installing a 7.1-BETA release to have the wired ethernet
working from the beginning.

--=20
Christian Laursen