Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:02:43 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Oskar van Eeden <oskar@vaneeden.nu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about mounting an ext2fs filesystem on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Oskar van Eeden wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to mount an ext2fs on my FreeBSD system. I recompiled my kernel
> with option EXT2FS and everything seems fine. When i try to mount with
> `mount -t ext2fs /ad1s2 /opt` i get the following message in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Nov 30 00:07:44 vaneeden /kernel: ext2fs: #ad/0x3000a: wrong magic number 0
> (expected 0xef53)

That's because ad1s2 does not have an ext2 fs. It is highly probable that
ad1s2 is an extended partition with the ext2fs inside the logical ones.

That is also the reason why fsck fails: it cant check an FS which isn't
really there.

What are the contens of your linux fstab?

Lets say your linux fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda7               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/hda9               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda8               /var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

and you want to mount linux's /home in freebsd's /mnt.
Then you say :

# mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s7 /mnt

that is, if in linux is hdan, in freebsd is ad0sn

Hope this helps

			Fer