Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:00:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching to EGCS on Saturday (PST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

# > Something that someone playing with bleeding edge bits should
# > be willing to do, IMHO.
#
# That's ridiculous. There's substantial work ongoing in 4.0 with enough
# people involved that changing things around for the hell of it and not
# sticking to broadcast times is just plain stupid. It's called 'dufus
# engineering', or 'freshman humour' or some such. Just because it's
# so-called 'bleeding edge' doesn't mean you can just integrate any old crap
# and just say "well- it's bleeding edge". Harumph.

We are not changing it for the hell of it.  From what I gather
David already has things ready and is just waiting for Sunday
to come to commit the changes.  Committing them now gives much
of the people who will work to fix things that get broken a
whole day more this weekend to work on them.  This isn't 'dufus
engineering' it is called advancing the state-of-the-art.  It
has been a long time coming and needs to be done, sooner than
later.

Just because the compiler changes doesn't mean development on
the 4.0 branch have to stop.  We need to get this change in the
hands of as many people as we can so that we can work out any
remaining hitches.  Waiting another 24 hours == wasting another
24 hours, IMHO.

-steve