Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 95 18:47 EST
From:      penton@churchill.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble installing FreeBSD

Hello,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 and I seem to have reached
a catch-22.  I would very much appreciate any assistance you
can provide.

I have a 486DX PC with two IDE hard drives.
Drive 1 is 540MB is the master and has 1 partition.
Drive 2 is 1.6GB is the slave and has 3 partitions (511MB, 511MB and 578MB).

I want to leave Drive 1 as a DOS 6.0/Windows 3.1/WFW 3.11 drive
so I can run normal PC stuff.

I would like to use Drive 2 partition 1 as a DOS partition and
the other two partitions for FreeBSD and UNIX stuff, but if I have
to I could reserve all of Drive 2 for FreeBSD and UNIX stuff.

When I had Drive 2 installed, I was told that my system did not have
LDA capability and therefore (1) I could not use fdisk and (2) I had
to use a Disk Manager (in this case the Western Digital Disk Manager)
in order to install the 1.6GB drive.

Here's the catch-22.
  1. My system cannot use fdisk.
  2. The Ontrack Disk Manager cannot work with UNIX.
  3. The installation instructions for the Walnut Creek CDROM says
     to use pfdisk to verify the partition geometry however pfdisk
     does not see the third partition on Drive 2.
  4. The installation instructions for the Walnut Creek CDROM
     uses fdisk and does not indicate how a Disk Manager software
     can be used.

Additionally, I am using a Selective Boot program that controls if the
system boots into DOS or WINDOWS.  I would like to also be able to
select UNIX as the third selection.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Perry Penton
voice (803) 749-6163
fax   (803) 749-6179