Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:38:47 -0500
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        Russell Jackson <raj@csub.edu>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Helko.Glathe@freenet.de
Subject:   Re: firefox-3.0_2,1 no reactions

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:49:32AM -0700, Russell Jackson wrote:
> Helko Glathe wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've installed firefox-3.0_2,1 on FreeBSD 7.0 Release.
> > Firefox3 starts without warnings.
> >
> > But entering URLs into the adress field there are no reactions. No request to
> > the URL is made.
> >
> > Only the Home Button works fine.
> >
> > Making Bookmarks or using Back- and Forward-Buttons also doesn't works/ show
> > reactions.
> >
> > A portupgrade fR www/firefox3 doesn't fixed that problem.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> If you have an old profile from firefox1/2 in ${HOME}/.mozilla,  you might try moving that
> out of the way (i.e. mv ${HOME}/.mozilla ${HOME}/.mozilla.old), and starting firefox3 back up.

Or, if you're like me and have your workstation's homedir mounted via NFS,
just forget about Firefo3 entirely and stick with Firefox2. Apparently the
version of SQLite they're using internally with Firefox3 doesn't like
non-local file systems. This problem exhibited with OS X and AFP-mounted
homedirs as well. It's fixed in Minefield, but not yet in an official Firefox
release. I haven't got around to seeing if the firefox-devel port has been
updated or trying to build Minefield some other way yet.

Thanks,

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller