Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:51:34 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spin down problem back?

I'm running a -current kernel from Nov 24.  I have just been able to
recreate a spindown problem with my Jaz drive.

The easy way to see this happen is to say something like:
	dump Bfu1 15000000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rsd1c
(where sd1 is my jaz drive).  You get the following warning on the
console, and then my mountpoint dies, and no further access to the
drive is possible.  If I do an ls -l /jaz before I do the above mount
command (that's where it is mounted), it works fine.

After the above command fails, the mount point is dead:

ls: /jaz: Input/output error

and I have to reboot.  I'm going to try the latest kernel, but was
wondering if anybody else has seen this.

BTW, I get the following on my console (as reported by
/var/log/messages):
sd1(uha0:3:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
sd1(uha0:3:0):  Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable

Warner