Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:03:14 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-users@freebsd-uk.eu.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > Really?. Comp Shopper including regular, favourable articles about UNIX?. I
>
> There isn't usually much about it but a few of their writers know about
> it now (I think this was a redhat review, so seeing it mentioned was
> particularly welcome alongside words like reliable etc. :-)

[snip]

> I email'd their editor a few months ago to ask if they would consider
> cover mounting a cutdown release (if only a few selected packages, maybe
> samba,netscape,lynx, that kind of thing, were included it could quite
> happily sit on the same CD as their usual Microsoft adverts etc) but no
> reply - maybe it needs helping along by the authors of friendly articles
> (I'll have a dig around for email addresses later)...

>From the days when I used to read Shopper I recall that Bill Poel seemed to be
the only contributor who could write objectively about Operating Systems,
everyone else seeming to take the view "if it's not Windows, it's just something
to take the p**s out of". I would think that e-mailing Bill Poel would probably
get a better response, although I don't know whether or not he can influence the
contents of the cover CD.

> I noticed someone asking them if they'd put Red Hat on a cover CD in the
> chat forum on their web pages recently but I don't know if anyone
> important reads those. They've done a Linux cover CD before though, time
> for something different I think :-)

I've been having a (e-mail) discussion with the author of the Hands On Unix
column in Personal Computer World about something that was in last month's
issue. At the end of this discussion I offered him one of these 2.2.6 CD sets
and asked if he would consider writing a review of FreeBSD. I haven't had a
reply yet and I can't remember the chaps' name (can find out though). His e-mail
address is unix@pcw.co.uk and this is what I said (I'm not a marketing/sales
person so I don't claim to be an expert at marketing things ):...

 ------- begin quote---------

....and would like to see more reference/coverage of FreeBSD in Hands On Unix.

To this end the FreeBSD team is making available free copies of the FreeBSD
v2.2.6 CD set for promotional and review purposes. There are some copies heading
over here to the UK. If I arrange for you to be sent a copy would you be willing
to review FreeBSD in your column?

FreeBSD is a very stable and is the OS which runs the YAHOO! search engine and
the Walnut Creek ftp site, to name but 2 major commercial users.

The CD set comes with hundreds of ported applications in pkg_add format. It will
also run Linux & SCO binaries, further extending its flexibility.

CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |
Radan Computational Ltd     | of the Roman Empire was, that      |
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com   | lacking a zero, they had no way of |
                            | indicating the successful          |
                            | termination of their C programs    |