Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:31:22 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can PF allow access by username/userid?

--nextPart12558731.Qgo8T2q5zl

On Friday 11 August 2006 17:49, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> In the following article:
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=3D04/07/01/1833212
>
> ... under the section "Putting it in action", the writer
> describes how they limit access by username with IPTables.
>
> I am wondering if this is achievable with PF. If yes, which section
> of the FAQ should I read?

There is a "user" and "group" keyword that can be used to match user and gr=
oup=20
credentials (surprise).  Note however, that inspecting socket information=20
(Layer 4) in pf (Layer 3) is a layering violation.  This manifests itself i=
n=20
a Lock Order Reversal (LOR) which can lead to a deadlock.  Thus you need to=
=20
set debug.mpsafenet=3D0 as described in the BUGS section of pf.conf(5).

In general it is better to do "personal firewalling" in the MAC framework.

=2D-=20