Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:16:35 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running STABLE ports on RELEASE

I have been having terrible problems lately with portupgrade dumping core
and gnome2 not wanting to build or run on my box.  I'm thinking of wiping
the drive and doing a clean installation of 4.10, installing packages for
what I want, and then cvsupping the ports tree to get the latest versions of
thunderbird and firefox.

Would there be any problem doing that?  I'm thinking I could just use
portupgrade on a fresh installation to avoid the coredumps and by limiting
the STABLE ports installation to just the 2 I listed I can keep everything
from breaking like it is now.

jm