Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:04:04 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Future of Applixware on FreeBSD?

Francisco Reyes schrieb:

> Anyone cares to share thoughts on the future of Applix on
> FreeBSD?
> I am waiting for a machine which am going to dedicate as my
> primary desktop running FreeBSD.
> I like what I read on the Applix site about functionality,
> however I am a little concerned after reading the description of
> Applix's rebirth as VistaSource. They talk about "Linux and
> Unix". They could have said "Unix like" operating systems or
> Unix derived systems..but instead they chose to have "Linux and
> Unix"

Hi!

I'm also (here in germany) watching Applix.

I talked to the german guys, and for presentation on some "Linuxtag" ( a
fair about open-source OS, mostly Linux) at the BSD booth, they agreed
to sponsor some copy of the current 5.0/Linux (later FreeBSD, when
available) version.

Support was very kind, as I mentioned some problems in the install
process on the international FreeBSD lists, they contacted me a day
later and offered some help.

Currently I am in the progress to catch up on some needed libraries from
Linux, and when I have some spare time left (job is killing me with
about 6 1/2 days a week) I can report more.

> Anyway, I just want any random thoughts of what people think is
> the future of Applix for FreeBSD before I fork the $99.
>
> Moreover, any rumors when version 5 will make it to FreeBSD?
> FreeBSDMall says september, but the first release was
> re-schedule numerous times.

The FreeBSD port is underway, and (at least they told me) I will be one
of the first people in germany that will get hold of one native version.

They expect in the next weeks, but no fixed date yet.

> How come FreeBSD Inc, or now BSDI, have not talked to Metrolink
> and Applixare to have a FreeBSD Office distribution?

Perhaps too much work for too few people for too few (proven) demand?

BTW, the 4.4 release was no official one from Applix.
As I told the support guy (german support folks) that there was a native
port for FreeBSD, they were, um, surprised.

Also a NetBSD version of 4.4.2 exists, designed for the IBM Network
station 2200/2800.

On meetings/discussions etc I also try to tell them :

Not: FreeBSD-the power to serve
instead: FreeBSD-turning PCs into workstations

Its some kind of image that still clings to us.