Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:45:49 +0900 (KST)
From:      CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
To:        maxim@macomnet.ru
Cc:        dl@leo.org, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which ftpd to use?

From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:48:40 +0300 (MSK)

> On 15:36+0100, Mar 26, 2003, Daniel Lang wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm looking for recommendations which ftpd to use for our
> > heavy loaded server. I would like to support >>1000 connections.
> >
> > We used to have proftpd but, that one runs in to problems with
> > respect to very long connection delays under load, etc.
>
> We are quite happy with native ftpd(8). 1500 - 2500 simultaneous
> sessions, ~20TB output per month.

I am also very happy with native ftpd of 4.7(lukemftpd not tried). It
can process over 1000 connections if you tuned socket parameters(such
as mbuf clusters) properly. proftpd cannot handle such situation.

One bad point of native ftpd is simplicity.(also good point of ftpd)
It cannot limit total users or total bandwidth. It can allow unlimited
connections (that's too bad if too many requests come in) so I gave up
running standalone mode and use inetd to limit total connection and
per-ip connection. a little bit overhead, but reasonable. And it
doesn't support wu-ftpd style xferlog(8) format. You need to convert
ftpd's /var/log/ftpd log properly if you wish log analyzing.

I think thttpd-style ftpd(single process, use kqueue() model, mmap()
caching or utilizing sendfile() ) will be perfect solution for high
load. But I cannot find such ftpd yet...

I have the following entry in /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp stream tcp nowait/800/1200/1 root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l -T 30 -t 15 -S

> --
> Maxim Konovalov, maxim@macomnet.ru, maxim@FreeBSD.org

CHOI Junho <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>;     KFUG <cjh at kr.FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD Project <cjh at FreeBSD.org>        Web Data Bank <cjh at wdb.co.kr>
Key fingerprint = 1369 7374 A45F F41A F3C0  07E3 4A01 C020 E602 60F5