Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:14:07 +0100
From:      Olivier Cortes <receiver@deep-ocean.net>
To:        Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QUESTION REGARDING PPP

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 02:58:07PM +0200, Francois Kritzinger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem with my PPP configuration.
> I have spent MANY hours reading help documents (including the freeBSD Handbook) trying to sort this problem out, and I've given up, so please forgive me if you think this is a trivial matter.
>
> My Setup:
>   a.. freeBSD 4.2 STABLE,
>   b..  US Robotics 56K external modem on com2 (or cuaa1 or whatever),
>   c..  an ISP account,
>   d..  2 x ISP DNS server IP addresses,
>   e..  a dynamically allocated IP address
>   f.. not much patience :)
> The Situation:
>
> I can get my Internet connection working in a hacky kind of way, IOW I can browse the internet and even send email in pine using the included configuration files. BUT there are certain problems.
>
> PROBLEMS:
>
> If I type # ppp and then # dial MYISP, ppp connects to my ISP. BUT if I then type # netscape &, netscape does not actually start up (in KDE) or it does not create a window. According to #jobs it is running though. I can also not start pine in this situation.
>
> To work around this I would then start up KDE, type # netscape & in a terminal, and then # ppp and #dial xxx and this would work fine, except for one thing: in the terminal I would get messages like this:
>
> "sio0: 2 more silo overflows" or something like that.
>
> In my desperation I have tweaked these files a lot, so what I have sent you may not be the most successful configuration I have had, and I also ran a shell script I got off the Internet (also included).
> After running this script sendmail produces an error message at boot time like: "hostx not known, sleeping for retry" or something similar (I am in Windows now so please forgive me again). Sendmail also dials in (runs ppp) at boot time, even though I do not have an /etc/start_if.tun0 file.
>
> So my QUESTIONS are:
>
>   a.. How do I get rid of the "silo overflow" messages?

i don't know for that, my USR is working perfectly good.

>   b.. What is the correct way to use ppp from the command line?

i type "ppp -nat -background myprovider", myprovider: beiing a label in ppp.conf
if the connexion goes ok, ppp fork into the background. when i want to stop the connexion,
i do "killall ppp" or wait for the timeout.

>   c.. How can I get sendmail to NOT check for email at boot time?

try to see if you have the flags "-q30m" somewhere, and scratch them. you must run sendmail
with '-bd' only, and when you run ppp spawn something who runs the mailqueue. see man ppp,
it says something like:

in ppp.conf:

!sendmail -q10m

see ya