Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:44:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Colin <cwass99@home.com>, drek@MonsterByMistake.Com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: access floppy rw to lock system

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> Well, I was protesting the logic of doing a read/write mount of read-only
> media.  Mount it R/O and there is no issue.
> And, it would have to be "unnoticed" by someone with root
> permissions, or it can't be mounted at all (or written to, either).

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure how many times I've tried to
write to a write-protected disk, or in other words, didn't realize the
disk was write protected.  It's just not one of the things I normally
check when I put a disk in a drive.B

> But I will concede that doing that approximately silly thing
> shouldn't hang the system.  I'd probably vote that the driver should
> test for write protect, and the mount(2) call should act as though
> "MT_RDONLY" had been specified.

Exactly.  If it's read-only media, it should fail when being mounted
read-write, or default to ro.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ