Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:04:05 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfilter vs ipfw (was Re: tcp_wrappers)

On 28 Jun 99, at 19:02, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:

> OK so Dan, while looking around on the website you mentioned I
> found a section regarding ipnat.
>
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/ipnat.htm
>
> This page describes how to do NAT via the ipfilter kernel module
> or LKM.  How does this differ from using natd?  Other than maybe
> performance?  Do you gain any features or other benefits by using
> ipfilter nat vs. natd nat?  I'm currently using natd so am interested
> if the ipfilter method is better.

I, personally, think ipfilter (ipf) is a much more robust product.  I have
no proof of that.  Merely anecdotes from those that use ipf.  One feature
within ipf that I think is worth mentioning is the rule group.  This is a
great short-hand way of ensuring that rules stick together where they
should stick together.  For example, the following is my first couple of
rules:

block in log on ed0 all head 100
block out log on ed0 all head 150

This effectively blocks all traffic on ed0.  Later on you see stuff like
this:

pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = www keep state group 100
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = telnet keep state group 100
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = ssh keep state group 100
pass in quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = domain keep state group
100

All of these relate to traffic coming in on ed0.  Similary, the following
stops stops those private addresses from coming in on ed0:

#
# Deny reserved addresses.
#

block in log quick from 10.0.0.0/8 to any group 100
block in log quick from 192.168.0.0/16 to any group 100
block in log quick from 172.16.0.0/12 to any group 100

Perhaps others with more technical knowledge of ipf can jump in here and
tell you move about that.

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/