Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:24:17 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <nelsont@switch.aust.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, current list <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best way to get a system on current?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:36:30AM -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 09:20:35AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> > Might help if you provided a pointer to the problems you had in the
> > "upgrade from -STABLE" case.  For that matter, a bit more detail on the
> > "install failed to mount the filesystems" for the "install from -CURRENT
> > snapshot" case would be of interest, as well.

> As for the snapshot install, since it's errors were only written to the
> screen I have to work from memory here as well. I believe the first
> complaint had to do with the filesystems to be mounted (/mnt/usr, for
> example) not specified in fstab. Since all of the mounts to /mnt failed,
> the system fails pretty soon apparently running out of space in /.

    Ahh, so I'm not the only one that ran into this problem.  I thought
    I'd balked something up myself, so I did some extensive fiddling to
    try and rectify the problem.  I got it working eventually by issuing
    newfs manually on each of the new partitions, mounting them on their
    respective /mnt mount points (i.e. /mnt, /mnt/var, /mnt/usr, etc),
    then symlinking these back to their root mount point equivalents
    (/var, /var/tmp, /usr, etc).

    I actually did all of this while the sysinstall dialog was still up
    on the first terminal -- once I'd fiddled with all the mount points
    and selected to try and install the bin distribution again, it
    worked.

    Not exactly an elegant solution, unfortunately.  It'd be interesting
    to hear if anyone else has this problem.

> Thanks,
> Bob

    Regards,

        Trent.

--
Trent Nelson - Software Engineer - nelsont@switch.aust.com
       "A man with unlimited enthusiasm can achieve