Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:43:41 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, "Tsalicoglou, Isaak" <tisaak@student.ethz.ch>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *NIX Selection

Michael Lucas (mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org) wrote:

> Also, Linux is technically just a kernel; everything else is the
> responsibility of the distributor.  FreeBSD produces a complete,
> coherent operating system.  I've known a lot of, say, Red Hat admins
> who are lost on a Slackware box; they don't really run Linux, they run
> Red Hat Linux.  That isn't a problem on FreeBSD.

I'm not super-intimate with Linux, but have used it enough to point out
some other key differences:

- In Linux, most packages (and parts of the system) are distributed as
  pre-compiled binaries. This means software is much quicker to install
  (you don't have to spend half a day compiling X Windows), but also
  a little less flexible. If you want to compile SSL into mutt, for
  example, you're going to have to build it by hand. FreeBSD, on the
  other hand, has some pre-built binaries but in general the ports
  system makes it easy to build software from source, which is
  occasionally quite useful.

- Updating a Linux system is often done piecemeal. You learn that
  wuftpd has a security vulnerability, and you download a new
  binary. On FreeBSD, there is a very nice 'make world' mechanism
  for keeping your entire system up-to-date. You can bring your
  entire base system up-to-date in one fell swoop. I have often
  updated my system to correct one security vulnerability only to
  find out that I also fixed four others, too.

- To the best of my knowledge, FreeBSD has never had a problem
  quite like the recent Linux kernel that trashed your filesystem
  when it was unmounted....

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com