Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:42:43 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating extra partition on existing system

* Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com> [2002-09-02 05:49]:
> Hi,
>
> I have a filesystem where I would like to create /www and use like 1 GB
> from the /usr .
> how would I accomplish this without using fdisk and reinstall the system?
> Tia
> Jim.
>

> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    128990   34162   84510    29%    /
> /dev/ad0s1f    257998      20  237340     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1g   7103768 1430424 5105044    22%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1e    257998     390  236970     0%    /var
> procfs              4       4       0   100%    /proc
>
> /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad0s1f             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1g             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/acd1c              /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

All roads out of your situation involve pain.  The least pain is acquiring
another disk and throwing it in.

If that is not possbile for whatever reason, you can try the following
after producing a recovery disk (or bootable CD):

   archive the /usr filesystem using dump onto tape or CD.
   (dump supports flags. Not all archive programs support flags.)
   Reboot onto the recover disk, ensuring that /dev/ad0s1g does not
   get mounted.  Delete the slice and rework for smaller size.
   Add other slice.  Update /etc/fstab with new entries.  Reboot.
   Use restore to restore your files onto smaller /usr partition.

See, I told you the least pain is just slapping on another disk :-).

HTH,
jpb
===