Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:01:50 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond), questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Domain name

<<On Mon, 20 Feb 95 10:28:24 MST, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:

> The auto-expansion is a result of the cannonical name being looked up
> by the program -- basically, it's a feature of your browser.

Wrong.  It's a feature of the Domain Name System, and has nothing to
do with the client program (if any).

Here's an example of how it's done around here:

wollman@khavrinen(7)$ dig radio.lcs.mit.edu.

; <<>> DiG 2.1 <<>> radio.lcs.mit.edu.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 2, Auth: 6, Addit: 6
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      radio.lcs.mit.edu, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
radio.lcs.mit.edu.      10045   CNAME   halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu.
halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu.     13651   A       18.26.0.159

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
[goop deleted]

Notice how I asked for a type `A' record (an address), and it came
back with TWO answers: one saying ``the canonical name of
`radio.lcs.mit.edu.' is `halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu.','' and one
saying ``oh, and by the way, the address of
`halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu.' is 18.26.0.159.''  This is built into
the DNS; a correct resolver MUST return both the CNAME itself and the
type of record originally requested (if the target of the CNAME exists
and has such a record).

(The actual application we use to manage all of this was developed by
my neighbors, the Telemedia Networks & Systems group, and it's called
`WebDNS'.  As the name implies, it's a Web (forms)-based mechanism for
managing the DNS namespace.  It replaces a much older system than ran
on Symbolics LISPMs.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.