Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 09:58:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sharing modem for dial in/out

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Barry Masterson wrote:

> As the subject suggests, I'm trying to configure my system to accept
> dial-in & dial-out on a single modem (USR Sportster V.42 14.4). I
> added the dial out line to /etc/ttys as outlined in one of the faq's.
>
> A friend dialed in and got the 'login' prompt, and successfully
> logged in. However on the second, and following attempts, no
> 'login' prompt was offered.
>
> In the book "Unix System Administration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder,
> Seebass & Hein, they mention using the 'bi' option in /etc/gettytab.
> This is suppose to help a single modem handle both dial-in & dial-out. I
> haven't seen any mention of this in the getty & gettytab man pages,
> or in the gettytab file either.
>
> Can anyone here help me with some suggestions on this situation?

That shouldn't be necessary.  There's a gotcha you have to be careful of,
it's not obvious.  When a user rings into your modem, the modem can send
a "RING" word to the computer, telling of the incoming call.  Login takes
that as the username (or password, if it doesn't answer fast enough), and
so the user wouldn't get the prompt they're looking for.

Two things to check on:

1) setting the verbosity level, so that the modem puts out responses only
   on locally originating calls (ATQ2).
2) Carrier detect operates normally (dipswitch 6 == UP && AT&C1).

I think, as long as your cable has enough pins, that ought to do it.

> Special thanks to Chuck for helping me to get the modem working
> in the first place.
>
> Barry Masterson
> jbarrm@panix.com

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.