Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:59:29 -0400
From:      Thomas Hoffmann <trh411@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Casper <mikecspr@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: make installworld failed

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Mike Casper <mikecspr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to freebsd and there isn't anything important on the machine that
> I'm working with. Worse case scenario is that I reinstall, but I'd like to
> try and figure out issue like this before things move ahead.
>
> I installed ports & src with svn. Then I followed the procedures from the
> Overview of Build World Process. Everything worked fine until make
> installworld.
>
> make installworld fails with:
>
> Install blah blah blah
> Install blah blah blah
> Install -o root -g wheel -m 444 btree.3.gz  /usr/share/man/man3
> Install: btree.3.gz: No such file or directory
> *** Error Code 71
>
> Stop.
> make[5] : stopped in /usr/src/lib/libc
> *** Error Code 1
>
> I did a find / -name btree.3.gz, and its results are
> /usr/share/man/man3/btree.3.gz.
>
> I coped the local file to /usr/src/lib/libc and ran make installworld
> again, but received the same results.
>
> I haven't rebooted and I'm still in single user mode with the zvol mounted
> as per the handbook procedure.
>
> My first question, is the -g wheel correct (is it supposed to be -g root?)
> or did I incorrectly merge the /etc files with mergemaster -p?
>
> Secondly, can I use  btree.3.gz from ../man/man3 and if so, where would I
> put it to stop make installworld from failing?

This issue was caused by r264402 and fixed with r264424. Suggest you update
/usr/src to >= r264424 and try again. You will need to rebuild world (make
buildworld).

Reference:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=10007936+0+current/svn-src-head
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=9972923+0+current/svn-src-head