Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:32:39 -0800
From:      "Jeffery T. White" <zellion@cyberwind.com>
To:        "Chris Coleman" <root@bb.cc.wa.us>, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ipx to ip routing

> And we want to eliminate the need for so many ip addresses so that we
> can get rid of all the ip address conflicts that we can't seem to trace
> down.
Unless you have more machines than IP numbers DHCP really is a pretty good
solution. I set it up at work and it was great. Not only could you assign
IP address that way but you can distribute default gateway, DNS, netmask
and all kinds of other IP config data from the DHCP server. That way when
you maybe change a name server or something you only have to update it in
one place.

We used the Windoze NT DHCP Service so I don't know first hand how the BSD
ones are but I can only assume they are as good or better<g>.

The only down side of switching to DHCP is you have to reconfigure all the
existing machines pretty much at once since your addresses are probably all
over right now and the DHCP server will assign them sequentially from the
blocks you allocate.

Of course if users still insist on entering an address that will mess
things up. Not as bad as before though because you will have the DHCP data
from which you can get a list of all the machines with _legal_ addresses.
The missing machines either haven't been turned on within the expiration
period or are owned by users who require their little fingers to be broken
:-)...