Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:05:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alex Hayward <xelah@xelah.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA66 not recognized

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Adam wrote:

> >As an aside I have the VIA 82C686, which is also ATA-66...it's detected as
> >ATA-66, the disk is reported as being used with UDMA66 but I /still/ don't
> >get UDMA66 speeds out of it. Instead I get ~22MB/s (from both the start
> >and end of the disk), even if I take the other devices off the other
> >channel. This is with both CURRENT and STABLE.
> >
> >My dmesg:
> >
> >ad0: 29314MB <IBM-DTLA-307030> [59560/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA66
>
> Sorry, but you cannot expect 66MB/sec from a single hard drive, not with
> todays hard drives at least.  Not ide, not scsi, not windows, not
> unix.  22 is a good number for a 30g IDE drive.

I don't expect 66MB/s. However, I do expect to get something closer to
what the benchmarks in reviews have got for this drive (twenty some up to
about 35 near the beginning of the disk). I'd also expect it to be slower
at the end of the disk compared to the start which is what makes me think
it hasn't reached the limit of the drive yet.