Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Minoura Makoto <minoura@valinux.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/31446: anoncvs.freebsd.org is down for quite a while, but there's no notice

>Number:         31446
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       anoncvs.freebsd.org is down for quite a while, but there's no notice
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
According to the latest handbook, users can obtain FreeBSD sources via
anononymous cvs.  After several trials, I had to search over the mailing list archive to find out that anoncvs server is down for a long
time.

Please update your web page (etc.) to notify non-active users that it
is no longer available, or fix the server as soon as possible.

BTW, CVSup is not an alternative to anonymous CVS.  Reasons include
CVSup is not popular, the client is not very portable, it cannot be
used to obtain the change logs, diffs, etc. without having the
repository locally, cannot retrieve arbitrary files, and more.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
See above.