Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fred Nicolls <nicolls@dip.ee.uct.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10371: Sound card buffer allocation failure

The following reply was made to PR kern/10371; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Fred Nicolls <nicolls@dip.ee.uct.ac.za>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, nicolls@dsp7.ee.uct.ac.za,
	sheldonh@iafrica.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:26:43 +0000

 Hi Sheldon,

 > Writing to which sound device? Remember that, on many systems, you'll
 > specify pcm0 in your kernel config, but pcm1 is the one to use. You'd
 > want to check dmesg output to see which device to use. My dmesg gives
 > me:
 >
 > pcm1 (SB16pnp <Vibra16X> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13 on isa
 > pcm0 not probed due to drq conflict with pcm1 at 1

 Mine gives pretty much the same thing - I was using pcm1.

 After a bit more homework, it seems the issue is with the 512 MB RAM.  I
 see that someone else has reported hassles (kern/9515), claiming that
 the problem is with ISA DMA memory in general.  I contacted the author
 of that PR, and he feels that *no* soundcard will work with FreeBSD in a
 machine with 512 Megs or more.

 Since I submitted the original report, I've come across about five other
 people having the same problem.  As far as I recall, moving to -current
 sorts it out (but not -stable, as of about a week ago).  I'd give more
 details, but freebsd-questions is down a the moment.

 Thanks for the follow-up,
 Fred