Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:03:16 -0800
From:      "Chris Smith" <chris@amgroupadmin.com>
To:        "Nimble" <Nimble@meander.addr.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: open ports on my gateway...how do i find out what is running

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:32:41 -0800, Chris Smith wrote:
>
> ># sockstat
> output snipped
> >I don't see any indication of ports 1780, 2071, 3529, 4140.
>
> Chris,
>
> chances are that those high ports are opened by one of your client
> applications currently running
>
> but then I don't know the full scope of your setup.

It's possible...

I really don't have anything complicated happening here... major functions
of this box are sshd, natd, dhcpd.  No mail, httpd or anything else, pretty
simple.  Are these maybe the outgoing ports from a TCP session coming from
my internal LAN?  If so that would make much more sense.  I do have some
redirected ports in natd.conf but the ones that I am seeing here are not
what I have redirected.

I wonder why I can't find out what's sitting on those ports though.  I would
think that between sockstat and netstat I could tell, even if it was an
internal session it should at least show natd is using them or something of
that nature.

Does anyone else have any other ideas how to find which process is using
which port?

I will post my ps ax output tomorrow after my buildworld finishes (kinda
messy right now with all the work going on).

Thanks for the replies so far, I've already learned a few new tricks.

Chris Smith
IT Department
American Group Administrators
First National Administrators