Date:      Sat, 02 May 2015 17:59:02 -0453
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to restore a USB drive converted to bootable

On 05/02/15 17:30, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 02 May 2015 17:23:13 -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

>>> In that case, the command
>>>
>>> 	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1m count=1
>>>
>>> should be fine. If there is any offending GPT metadata located
>>> at the end of the USB drive, estimate the size and also erase
>>> the last few MBs (use skip= to do so). There is no need to
>>> actually zero out the _whole_ drive.
>> *Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh*, I wasn't sure about that (zero the whole drive),
>> thanks :-) ....
> There are only few significant "data zones" on the USB drive.
> The boot sector and partition table are located at the beginning,
> and _maybe_ GPT metadata at the end. Removing both makes the
> remaining bits and bytes practically useless (except when you
> take it to forensics, but you don't want to recover things
> anyway, so the result should work for you).
>
> However, if you want a USB drive "new" (as in "I just bought it
> from the shop, it's fresh out of the package!"), then you have
> to write a MSDOS (FAT) file system, install some crapware, some
> ridiculous "drivers", and "value added" software, maybe with
> some spying tools, malware, nagware, and non-working "encryption"
> tools. Add several partitions and make them smaller than the
> real size of the drive. And add a "Facebook" link. :-)

I was thinking of dd-ing the 1st MB or 2 off into a file, then restoring
from that file when done, that would skip all the extra features you
mention ;-). Would 1 or 2 MB be enough to get all of the FS info ? I
wasn't aware you didn't have to zero everything out, that simplifies
things a fair bit ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."