Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 17:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD/Linux

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:

> I'm having a little trouble with Star Office. It takes a long time
> to come up, and I don't know if that's just the way it is, or if
> I have something wrong. It seems to run fine once it's up. Though,
> help functions haven't seem to come up yet.
>
> BTW, Star Office is a productivity suite. And it's free for non-
> commercial use. Pretty nice, too.

SO is actually *meant* to take a year to load.  Their idea was that the
user would run all or most of the apps that come with it (the presentation
program, the drawing program) at once, so it would be best to use shared
libraries -- and the other apps would open right up when called.  I don't
think I've ever used it in that way, and on the 486 I used to have, the
wait was considerable!

I've used a couple versions for Warp, but not FBSD.  There are other good
WPs for Warp, so I've pretty much given up SO (just too buggy), though
it's fun to learn technical phrases in German (not everything got
translated to English).

Take care,

Jeff

   jroberts@ashland.edu  >>>>  Jeff Roberts  <<<<  strider@acm.org