Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:17:35 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dosemu

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 11:42:28PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Mark Newton wrote:
> >
> > >  > Is there anyone successfully compiled dosemu under FreeBSD?
> > >
> > > "man doscmd"
> >
> > I asked about dosemu, not doscmd
> > doscmd does not support DPMI, right?
>
> No.  As a general rule, emulating DOS is a dead science.  I'd recommend
> you port your application to native FreeBSD, or use a comparable native
> application.

If that turns out not to be feasible, you might want to try
Wine.  Recent snapshots have a fair bit of support for DOS, or
so says the doco.

Also, a few command-line DOS tools have been re-jigged by their
makers as Win32 console applications, and most of those _do_ run
fine under Wine.

I had to use a very recent egcs/gcc (gcc-2.95.1) to compile the
most recent wine (Wine990815), because of some dubious calling
convention stuff in some code generated during the build, but that's
running fine, otherwise.

--
Andrew