Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:24:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stallman uses FreeBSD (was: GNU/FreeBSD? Not by that name)

On Friday, 26 February 1999 at  8:51:39 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 10:39 AM 2/26/99 -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:
>
>> Brett, we understand that you feel hurt by the FSF and hurting them
>> back is the only way you can currently deal with your anger,
>
> Bullshit.

Right, he forgot that you also take it out on other FreeBSD people.

>> but please don't make such blatant lies.  To quote a page from
>> fsf.org:
>>
>>  "There are many different non-copyleft free software licenses,
>>   including the X10 license, the XFree86 license, and the FreeBSD
>>   license, and the BSD (Berkeley System Distribution) license."
>
> They then go on to trash the Berkeley licenses, on their Web pages
> and even more so at public appearances and in e-mail.

Since you mention this, here's a story from the AUUG Winter 1998
conference.

I had signed up for the Emacs tutorials on the Monday, held by
Stallman.  When the class started, he wasn't there.  I decided to go
upstairs and get my laptop, and when I came down Stallman was in the
foyer, looking lost.  I took him to his class, where he discovered
that he had left the power supply to his laptop behind.  In the end, I
lent him mine, running FreeBSD of course, and he held the tutorial on
that.  He was completely reasonable about FreeBSD ("of course, we'd
prefer it to be GPL, but it's free software, and that's the important
thing").  For those of you who are interested, you'll see a picture of
him holding a FreeBSD CD-ROM set and talking to Peter Wemm of the
FreeBSD core team at http://www.lemis.com/grog/auug98.html.

To prepare for your inevitable rebuttal: yes, rms is not known for
consistency.  But he can show himself to be reasonable.

Greg