Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:11:07 -0500
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature Findings

David Schwartz wrote:

> > On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, David Schwartz wrote:
> >

> > >     It's really simple, your machine was configured beyond
> > recommended settings
> > > and as a result was unable to run at full speed for long
> > periods of time.
> > > Returning the machine to recommended settings solved the problem. Case
> > > closed. Your machine was a ticking time bomb for any OS.
> > >
> > >     DS
>
> > I think everyone knows that. However, it does not answer his question
> > about the temperature differences.
> >
> >                               -Kip
>
>         His machine cannot run at full capacity. FreeBSD SMP runs the machine at
> full bore. He would probably see the same temperature results with Linux if
> he had two seti@home clients running or similar.

That's exactly how the machine was run for many months. FreeBSD was
added only recently to this machine. I usally start 2 seti sessions when
I'm done for the day on this machine. Under Linux it never..ever reached
even 100F.(still the same) That's whats so baffling about this.(I only
overclocked it very recently out of curiosity)
Tommorow I am going to run the programs Peter suggested. On the sessions
between Linux and FreeBSD I usually shut it off for a moment the
temperatures took a while to stabilize it was not immediately cool as
someone questioned.

I want to stress it again this is only with the SMP kernel. The standard
kernels do indeed run cool.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group