Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 16:54:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA install report, minor problems.

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> > 2)  The box I was installing on had BSD/OS installed on it.  For whatever
>
> BSD/OS uses a totally `weird' bootstrap if used in dedicated mode
> (withouth an fdisk table).  This is something like our `dangerously
> dedicated' mode, and BSDi should probably warn about its dangers as
> well.  You just felt it...

I submit that if I'm selecting that FreeBSD use the entire disk, and I
insiste that it use the entire disk this way, and "Yes, I don't want to be
compatible with any type of OS co-existence", that then the exhibited
behaviour is a bug.

Maybe freebsd needs to zero the disklabel or something itself.  I know
Alpha's under Digital UNIX had a -z option to disklabel to zero it out.
There should be a way to zero out the partition table as well.

BSD/OS does warn about the dangers, but since I'm not co-existing, I'm
replacing, then I think our stuff should be able to handle it.